Tuesday 3 February 2009

Clothing Kit

I'm still undecided about which clothing to take....here's a revised list I'm considering at the moment. This is based on the fantastic advise so many people have given me. I've taken everyone's comments on board - and then surfed the internet to find whats on sale versus what I already have!

Marmot Midweight Base (long sleeve) - 113g
Marmot Midweight Base bottoms - 142g
Montain Bionic T'shirt - 90g
Sprayway Trousers - 272g
Craghoppers Fleece - 222g
Ultra Down Vest (PHD) - 150g

The Marmot base layers are mainly for something dry to wear in camp if I get a soaking that day, plus to wear in my bag. They also give me something to wear while washing my clothes. I've been looking at silk long johns (long janes?!) but these bottoms look like I can get away with wearing them "on the trail" if necessary while drying my trousers! This lot gives me plenty of layers to play about with. Once I travel further south into warmer climates (and further into summer) I will no doubt send some home - probably the fleece anyway.

I'm still unsure about the rainwear. I do have a slightly lighter pair of overtrousers but I haven't tested them yet. I may stick with what I have as I know they will keep me dry in continuous heavy rain (the great British summer!), but I am keen to lose a little more weight if possible. I'm looking at the montane Venture Jacket (430g) which seems a little more substantial than the paclite's while still dropping some weight. It has reinforcement on the shoulder and hips too which look like a good idea for a summer of backpacking. I'm still looking at the alternatives that have been suggested though....

No comments: