Saturday, 6 June 2009

A quick update!

Apologies for the lack of updates lately - I'm having problems connecting with my phone - I'm using a new friends computer at the moment in the middle of a campsite! (Dee and Steve who is also JOGLE'ing - Dee is the supporting sherpa!)

Tuesday ended with me booking into a B&B in Lybster ( I think it was called Bolton House)...I haven't got the hang of the open access in Scotland yet and didn't know where to pitch my tent! Having now spoken to some locals I feel a lot more comfortable about finding a pitch. I'm used to mountain walks where there are plenty of potential pitches out of sight in the middle of no-where, rather than by the side of a busy main road!

The B&B was fab. The owner, Brenda was lovely, and the villagers I met when out and about where fabulous. In the morning Brenda took me for a quick spin in the car to see the harbour. A lovely place.

In the morning Patch and I limped a short 5 miles or so into Dornoch - we were both a bit sore! We stayed at the first campsite we came to, called Inver Camping Site. I was welcomed in - she had been expecting me apparetly...not sure quite how! The site was lovely - small, quiet and pleasant clean facilities. The best part was the shower room - well set up so I could take Patch in and have a shower! It can be impossible at many sites to do this as I have no-where secure to leave Patch!

The next day (Thursday) we continued on for 15 miles or so into Helmsdale. Patch charmed the Hostel owner into letting us stay. Helmsdale Hostel is owned by Irene. Irene really took to Patch (as did everyone else!) and provided her with a dogs bed and a pack of treats! She's fab. The hostel is very comfortable and welcoming...I had a lovely time there and met some super people. I shared a room with Lynne, who is originally british but now living in Australia and trying to now find work here so she can move back. We got on so well that I had a rest day on Friday and we out for the day together!

At the hostel also were Dan and Bob who are completing a LEJOG. They both looked in good spirits and were great company. It's good to hear that I'm not the only person to be sore in the first week!

After a second night at the hostel I walked today 10 miles or so to Brora and am currently in a very quiet campsite. It is suprisingly expensive here at 8 pounds for my little tent...particularly as the facilities are pretty basic, but the owner is very nice I must admit. I've met up again with Steve and Dee. Steve seems to be doing really well, which is great news. Dee is amazing - she's managed to turn a basic tent into a very well equiped base camp - even with this laptop and intenet!

I have a sore muscle in my foot that has improved after the day off but kicked in again 5 miles or so...I'm going to keep the mileage low for a few days to sort it out, then I can crack on again. Patch seems to be doing ok - she had a limp after resting but it soon went when she started moving. I put it down to a stiff muscle, and after yesterdays day off it seems to have gone. I'm keeping a close eye on her paws. she wore her boots for the 1st 2 days but they started to rub a little so we're without them now. She seems to be doing ok so far, but that's another reason to keep the mileage down for a little while.

I'm so looking forward to getting off the road for a while tomorrow! We will follow the coast as we head towards Dornock, and will find a nice spot to wild camp somewhere along the way.

It's been tiring, sometimes painful, and sometimes emotional...but all in all great fun and I'm so pleased to be doing this!


Peter said...

Great to hear from you, good idea to keep the mileage down, no point doing too much too soon, it'll pay off later on I'm sure.
Keep your spirits up, best wishes, Peter.

Jewellery By Shalini said...

Great to hear from you Sophie.

You will have good days and not so good days, but I am pleased to hear that you are having fun. That is very important.

All the best. Shalini

peewiglet said...

It's great to get back from the Lakes and find that you've posted. I'm so glad to hear that it's all going well!

Piglet the puppy had her first sleep in a tent, last night, and done her first walk in the Lakes. I was very proud of her, and she told me that she was inspired by what Patch is doing :)

I hope that all continues to go well, and that you can get over the technical difficulties with the postings. Best wishes from Piglet and from me :)

Shirl x Piglet x (and Puss-Puss x)